Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rhetoric - aenos



aenos [ˈaɪnɒs] n.

1.) The use of erudite words or allusions to appeal to the learned (Literary Companion Dictionary, David Grambs (ed.), 1985).
2.) A saying or a sentence, taken out of a tale, as be the interpretations of fables, and their allegories (A Treatise of Schemes and Tropes, Richard Sherry, 1550).

Etymology: Latin, from Ancient Greek αἶνος, tale, story, saying, praise.

"As to references in the margin to the books and authors from whom you take the aphorisms and sayings you put into your story, it is only contriving to fit in nicely any sentences or scraps of Latin you may happen to have by heart, or at any rate that will not give you much trouble to look up; so as, when you speak of freedom and captivity, to insert:
Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro;
and then refer in the margin to Horace, or whoever said it; or, if you allude to the power of death, to come in with—
Pallida mors Aequo pulsat pede pauperum tabernas, Regumque turres.
If it be friendship and the love God bids us bear to our enemy, go at once to the Holy Scriptures, which you can do with a very small amount of research, and quote no less than the words of God himself: Ego autem dico vobis: diligite inimicos vestros ... With these and such like bits of Latin they will take you for a grammarian at all events, and that now-a-days is no small honour and profit" (The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, John Ormsby (trans.), 1885).

(Dulcinea del Toboso, The Peasant Mistress of Don Quixote, Charles Robert Leslie, 1839)
_____________________________________________________

So, here's the explanation for the name of my blog (it's also a real mountain in Greece, which according to legend was ruled by Odysseus). Thanks for reading!

23 comments:

themajessty said...

aenos.

I like these "technical" words because I don't know any of them. :D

D4 said...

I'm glad you put this up, I was pretty much pronouncing your blog 'Mount Anus'. Worthy of a good chuckle at first. Yep.

Kristina P. said...

Perfect for our fun and delightful election season!

shari said...

Ahhhh.... thought it was only because of the Greek mountain. Did you see that I did a drawing of your banner a while back? It was during my drawing challenge month. Love the artwork, and the word is erudite and I like that.

Daily Car Reviews said...

this Dulcinea del Toboso, The Peasant Mistress of Don Quixote, Charles Robert Leslie, 1839
is really good!

DEZMOND said...

aenos - that's one of the things I don't like - when writers, critics or other people are being overly snobbish in their use of overcomplicated terms just to sound educated or refined! Sometimes they fill up their writing with such words so much that they themselves don't understand what they wrote.

Unknown said...

hahaha D4 that's funny

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great! I was wondering what "aenos" meant. And it's very fitting that Mount Aenos is ruled by Odysseus, that smooth talker.

Natasha said...

Thanks for this, I was pronouncing your blog title wrongly :( I didn't know the mountain was a real one though, something new. xxx

Unknown said...

Hmm. I like that meaning. I thought you had just named it after the mountain but it is good to know that it has another meaning. And a rather appropriate meaning as well.

MRanthrope said...

Ha. no worries, I'm glad you're keeping the blogger world on our toes!

Jessica Thompson said...

Thanks for this one!
alphabetalife.blogspot.com

dwizzt said...

nice word of the day! i've something new today.
keep 'em coming!

+follow

GMizzle said...

beautiful

Sick by Trend said...

Always showing us awesome words! :D

xx

www.sickbytrend.com

themajessty said...

As always, you're right. :/

I just realized that I haven't published 400 posts, but I've written 400 posts, which includes drafts - hence the "400 posts" number on my dashboard.

Natasha said...

Haha, I'm glad you liked it. I've got a thing for poetry. xxx

Triper said...

Very good reading.

T. Banacek said...

@D4 You're so silly.

Mr. Cactus said...

Good post I should have looked this one up earlier.

Kristin H said...

A Mountain full of Words and meanings! Have a great day!

Meri said...

What a cool word, and concept. I've long admired your blog header, but didn't realize the double meaning there.
Keep it up, I love learning these new words!

tamezisclutch said...

Nice post man!

Post a Comment