Tuesday, August 7, 2012

fin-de-siecle



fin-de-siecle [fɛ̃ də ˈsyɛklə] a.

1.) Of or characteristic of the last part of the 19th century, especially with reference to its artistic climate of effete sophistication (American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language).

Etymology: French fin, end + de, of + siècle, century.

"Zionism and modern European anti-Semitism dripped out of the same fin-de-siècle intellectual spout" (How Soccer Explains the World, Franklin Foer, 2004).

(Au Moulin Rouge, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, 1895)
_____________________________________________________

Hi, all. I was a little weirded out to see that someone had searched for "who is e mount aenos" on Bing the other day. I would have thought my readers would be staunch Google users!

3 comments:

D4 said...

Difficult to use, for me.

Can't they just go to your profile instead? I think that'd be easier.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hurray! Finally a phrase I know!

And yes, I'm shocked about Bing too. It sucks as a search engine.

Meri said...

ooh, a fancy one!

Post a Comment