Sunday, August 28, 2011

Rhetoric - epanadiplosis



epanadiplosis [ˌɛpænədɪˈpləʊsɪs] n.

1.) Emphasis produced by repeating a word or phrase at the beginning and end of a sentence or clause. This is a subspecies of epanalepsis (Garner's Modern American Usage 3rd Edition).

Etymology: Latin, adoption of Greek ἐπ(ί) upon, in addition + ἀναδίπλωσις, noun of action from ἀναδιπλό-εσθαι to be doubled back, from ἀνά back + διπλό-ειν to double, from διπλό-ος double.

"Believe not all you hear; tell not all you believe" (Tamil Proverbs with their English Translation: Containing Upwards of Six Thousand Proverbs, Peter Percival, 1874).

(Galilée devant le Saint-Office au Vatican, Joseph-Nicolas Robert-Fleury, ~1847)
______________________________________________________

I know I don't usually talk about myself on this blog, but I recently received the pictures from my recent trip to Wales, and I couldn't resist demonstrating to my friend (and everyone else) the disparity I was discussing (not complaining about) on our mountain-climbing excursion. And plus it's a chance to big up Colorado (where I'm from), which I'm realizing the rest of the world knows next to nothing about. Here's the reward for climbing to the top of a Coloradan peak (Mount Sneffles):

And here's the reward for climbing to the top of a Welsh "peak" (Cadair Idris):

I know, I know, it's all about the journey, rather than the destination (there are no sheep to keep you company in Colorado, for example). Also, a quick reminder that today is the last day to submit your weekly challenge entries. (See here for this week's words.) Thanks for reading!

21 comments:

Bibi said...

YAY FOR SHEEP! I have to admit the first picture looks way more impressive than the second one, but it's not bad, it's just different. If it wouldn't have been so misty you would've had a pretty nice view, I think. While you're in Europe, you should plan a trip to Scandinavia. Pretty mountains in Norway :) I was still a kid when we went there, so we avoided the more challenging roads, but I'm pretty sure you'd like it there as well.
---
re your comment: I'm just very bad with the combo cold/windy/humid.

GMSoccerPicks said...

The landscape in both of your photos is simply stunning. I liked the first one better, but the ruins in the second one, have it's charm too.

mjunta said...

nice pics :)

Unknown said...

I like this word and I'm going to abuse the F out of it, just because it sounds like an a-hole move :P

DEZMOND said...

love the mountain pics!

Today's word is certainly difficult to pronounce :)

And the mallware is because one of the blogs in my blogroll. All of us who have that site in our blogrolls had that problem a few days last week, but it disappeared today as people tell me. It's some temporary mistake.
You are safer with HOLLYWOOD SPY than at those mountain peaks :PPP

Michael Westside said...

I love mountains. The feeling when you stand on the edge and know that just more step forward and you're dead. Makes you feel alive.

Kevin Faulkner said...

Very few mountaineering academics, so you are near uniqueness. Really satisfying obscure word too !

MRanthrope said...

Epic view/photo op my friend. Nice job.

psychpost said...

beautiful photos & interesting word :D

D4 said...

I wouldn't have thought that could be a word, but it sure is interesting.

You look like you enjoyed yourself, view is awesome!

Crap I still haven't written mine.

Anonymous said...

Those are pretty great photos, man; especially the Mount Sneffles one. Although, the old house or whatever in the Welsh one gives it some cool points.

Anonymous said...

Man, it looks really beautiful from the top of the peak. I'm jealous :P

Unknown said...

That word would have been useful for teaching my students about speech techniques. Then again, trying to get them to understand alliteration and hyperbole was a rough stretch...

Alexa said...

Ooooh! The opposite of this is called Anadiplosis, where the final word(s) of one sentence begin the next. You probably knew that, but hey ho. Plus, I climbed a mountain in Wales once. Never seen so many slugs in my entire life.

ivy said...

Awesome mountain adventures! A cool word to have with it too.

Unknown said...

Wow, awesome photos! That landscape is amazing.

Mai Yang said...

totally distracted with the photos. whoa! nice one. I didn't know you're a climber. ;-)

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh, can't make the sound work on this pronunciation.
I think landscape in Britain is always rather domestic - even the grandest of it. I mean, you know there's probably a teashop within a few hours' walk.

Unknown said...

Woops. There's one I won't be dropping in my cocktail parties.

themajessty said...

Thanks for the eye candy.

NOW I know why I read your blog. ;)

jayaseelan chelladurai said...

Wow, awesome photos! That landscape is amazing.

Post a Comment