Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rhetoric - hypophora



hypophora [haɪˈpɒfərə] n.

1.) Rhetoric. The posing and answering of questions, often at length; esp., the practice or an instance of raising and answering one or more questions that an opponent might raise about one's argument (Garner's Modern American Usage 3rd Ed.).

Etymology: Latin adaptation of Greek ὑπόϕορά: hypo, under + phora, allegation.

"You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that America can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: victory; victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival" ("1st Address to the House of Commons", Winston Churchill, 1940).

_______________________________________________

Just a reminder that this is the third entry in my weekly series of terms of rhetoric, so the Churchill quote is a use of hypophora, not a use of the word. Thanks for reading!

28 comments:

Mrs. Pickle said...

Now write the definition of a dirty word.

Anonymous said...

your really great mmmm

Intraman said...

really well chosen example!

DEZMOND said...

'tis a complicated one!

DEZMOND said...

PS, since when did you move to Mumbai? :)

Fang said...

So that's what you call it when someone asks you a question, but the answers it right away?

AllenTesch said...

Did I enjoy this post? Yes, Yes I did.

Unknown said...

Reading your blog reminds me, constantly, of the evolution of words. It is rather easy to forget how the English language has evolved from numerous springs of other languages. Amazing.

Natasha said...

Greece is somewhere I'd love to go too. And this is a great word! xxx

shari said...

good word! not sure how often I can use it, but I've gone on at length like this when I'm up on a soapbox... so I guess I'm probably pretty decent at hypophora... (word is so esoteric that spellcheck said it wasn't in the dictionary! must not have checked with you first.)

Dave said...

Excellent word today. Just the right word to describe Churchills speech.

Zed said...

Churchill always has amazing quotes

Anonymous said...

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary once again!

Ellie Great said...

Great. I like it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's a great rhetorical technique. Now I know what it's called.

And I second that notorious shit disturber, Mrs. Pickle. Give us a few really lip-smacking salacious words!

Z said...

My boss (who is gross) gives two words answers and writes three words emails. i wonder I should send this posting to him.

Natasha said...

On board? Do you mean to come over to see the rain, haha? Thanks for commenting! xxx

Duhniel S. said...

i know another word!

Kicking Rocks said...

that is a great quote by Winston Churchill

Meri said...

haha- sounds like college!

Twenty.Something said...

Great! Love learning this.

Unknown said...

very educational ;)

Speedy Ed said...

i got that pronunciation in one ;)

MRanthrope said...

Churchill's voice was so old/crabby/awesome. I read that speech with his voice in my head and loved it.

Dejch said...

such a cool one

Kristin H said...

The Victory speech is quite a bold one, had it been during a different time it could have seemed quite bullish.

Solsby Kid said...

Learn something new everyday with this blog! :D

Unknown said...

Ahh yes, knowledge is power and I just gathered a little bit more.

Post a Comment