Friday, June 24, 2011

trope



trope [troʊp] n.

1.) Rhet. A figure of speech which consists in the use of a word or phrase in a sense other than that which is proper to it; also, in casual use, a figure of speech; figurative language.
2.) In Gregorian Music, A short distinctive cadence at the close of a melody. Obs.
3.) [= Gr. τροπή.] The ‘turning’ of the sun at the tropic; also = Geog. Each of two parallels of latitude on the earth's surface (corresponding to the celestial circles, 1 b, and called likewise tropic of Cancer and tropic of Capricorn), distant about 23° 28′ north and south of the equator, being the boundaries of the torrid zone. Obs. rare.
4.) Logic. Any one of the classes into which each of the four ‘figures’ of valid categorical syllogisms is subdivided on the ground of the several ways in which syllogisms differ with regard to the quality and quantity of their constituent propositions.
5.) In the Western Church, A phrase, sentence, or verse introduced as an embellishment into some part of the text of the mass or of the breviary office that is sung by the choir. (Tropes were discontinued at the revision of the missal under Pope Pius V in the 16th cent.)
6.) In the Moravian Church, one of the three divisions forming the ‘Unity of the Brethren’.
7.) In Greek Philosophy, one of ten procedures that were intended to contain the means of refuting dogmatism in all possible forms, and to provide directions for stating every line of available argument which could lead to negative conclusions and paralyse assent.
8.) Geom. The reciprocal of a node on a curve or surface; in different cases, a multiple tangent or tangent plane, or a plane or developable surface touching the given surface in a particular way (O.E.D. 2nd Ed.).

Etymology: Latin tropus, from Greek tropos, turn, figure of speech.

"Aesthetic authority and creative power are tropes too, but what they substitute for—call it "the canonical"—has a roughly quantifiable aspect, which is to say that William Shakespeare wrote thirty-eight plays, twenty-four of them masterpieces, but social energy has never written a single scene. The death of the author is a trope, and a rather pernicious one; the life of the author is a quantifiable entity" (The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages, Harold Bloom, 1994).

(Astronom Kopernik: Czyli Rozmowa z Bogiem, Jan Matejko, 1872)
________________________________________________

Sorry about the long post today. I was only aware of the first definition, but thought the rest were interesting, particularly the origin of the word "tropical". There seems to be enough interest to try the weekly contest, so let's start on Monday. I thought it would be appropriate to give a book as a prize, but I can't really give away one every week. Perhaps a running scoreboard and the first to 5 wins gets a book? What do you guys think?

18 comments:

Jetah said...

Hey this is a really nice blog! Followed.

Lydia Kang said...

I didn't realize it had so many meanings.

DEZMOND said...

I think number 6 will be much needed in my everyday conversations :)))

Unknown said...

lol I knew this one from that site tvtropes

Anonymous said...

Always looking forward to your forgotten word of the day. Keep it up man!

Jesse Crows said...

reminds me of troupe

D4 said...

I have a buddy that uses this one a lot. He actually gets made fun of for it.

Salted Plum said...

This word has more definitions than I knew!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your contest sounds good, but I bet it wiil be hard. Very hard.

Mercurio said...

it's a very itneresting word indeed, too bad it's very difficult to make it fit in a casual conversation.

Unknown said...

I knew the first definition as well but the others were new to me, though I should have known the second one.

I think the contest idea and first to five is actually a great idea. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

I never heard of that word :O

Melanie said...

One word and tons of definitions...cool!

Astronomy Pirate said...

So many uses, it would be hard to determine what trope you were following.

Fang said...

Holy cow, that's a terrible lot of different meanings!

A Beer for the Shower said...

I'd never heard of the others either. And, slightly related, on a day like today, I'm wishing I was somewhere a bit more tropical.

menshans said...

Never even knew the word existed!

Natasha said...

I only knew this word as being used to describe "tropes" in books, films and TV so this is a really interesting one. And thanks for the comment, I don't know where I'd be able to get a shot from, but I've got some Vitamin C supplements at home. xxx

Post a Comment