Saturday, October 15, 2011

jezebel



jezebel also iesabelle, jezabel, jesebel [ˈdʒɛzəˌbɛl] n.

1.) Name of the infamous wife of Ahab king of Israel; hence used allusively for a wicked, impudent, or abandoned woman or for a woman who paints her face (O.E.D. 2nd Edition).

"That I might have nothing to divert me from my Studies, and to avoid the Noises of Coaches and Chair-men, I have taken Lodgings in a very narrow Street not far from Whitehall; but it is my Misfortune to be so posted, that my Lodgings are directly opposite to those of a Jezebel. You are to know, Sir, that a Jezebel (so call'd by the Neighbourhood from displaying here pernicious Charms at her Window) appears constantly dress'd as her Sash, and has a thousand little Tricks and Fooleries to attract the Eyes of all the idle young Fellows in the Neighbourhood" ("The Spectator", Joseph Addison and Richard Steele (ed.), 20 Sep. 1711).

(Jezebel, John Byam Liston Shaw, 1896)
_______________________________________________________

I can't believe none of my readers is an Ubuntu user! Free yourselves from your corporate shackles, people. See, Thursday marked the release of Ubuntu 11.10, nicknamed the "Oneiric Ocelot". That was why "oneiric" was chosen (plus I had no idea what it meant). I like that some of you thought I'd suddenly change tack and start blogging about my personal dream-narratives. However, that's between me, George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, and the attractive barista at my local coffee shop, thank you very much!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I knew this one! Been a while but I got one!

MRanthrope said...

when I'm old and wealthy I plan on surrounding myself with countless brain dead young Jezebels =p

Life, Liberty and Accountability said...

on halloween, i'm going to call every woman with a painted face "jezebel"

Crisalys said...

This one I didn't know. I have to use it someday, somewhere.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I bet that barista's a Jezebel. At least you hope so!

D4 said...

I'd actually like to get into Ubuntu, I just haven't had anyone to steer me through it. I'm sorry, -E-!

Mai Yang said...

sounds like a mermaid. lol

I mean, I've seen a movie once (local) entitled Jezebel but with different spelling though. haha!

A Beer for the Shower said...

Clowns, mimes, and hookers. I've exhausted hope of ever dating a nice woman who paints her face.

Jennifer Fabulous said...

This is my favorite word. So therefore, my favorite post. :)

Unknown said...

I used to know a girl named Jezebel. What were her parents thinking?

Unknown said...

This was the name of a character in a book series I read as a child. It wasn't until I was older that I realised how fitting the name was.

DEZMOND said...

I always love it when puritans use this word, or her name, as an offensive word. They are so crazy.

none provided said...

Jezebel has been overused to death now. I wonder at what point it became synonymous with it's current popular meaning.

"I can't believe none of my readers is an Ubuntu user!" Hee hee hee, I'm nearly a Ubuntu user. I'm a Junior in Computer Science, and all the other nerds are eating my brain over still using Windows. But when my brother removed Windows and installed Ubuntu on his laptop, things got screwed up, so I'm too scared to do it myself. I prefer just using a virtual machine.

Post a Comment